Tuesday 16 January 2018

We got this!!!

¡Buenas Tardes!

I hope everyone is having a great start to their second week! I have really enjoyed looking at your photos and reading about your experiences. 😊

Perfection

I had an amazing weekend - including experiencing the night life (attempting to order a taxi, eating a variety of tapas, drinking unmeasured spirits and then thinking I can dance and sing in Spanish as a result🙈). I really enjoyed the Spanish lesson on Sunday - thank you Fran! As great as weekends are... I couldn't wait to get back into the classrooms and see all of the beautiful children again!

During the first week, there seemed to have been a misunderstanding about our role within the school. I was supposed to be teaching but the class teachers thought we were there only for language support. Finally, yesterday was the first day that I was able to plan and teach all of my classes - and it was so much fun! The rules are magical... I have found as long as the pace of the lesson is fast and the activities are enjoyable, the children stay on task and want to learn English. Some children are that desperate to keep their team points, they are even doing the classroom management for me!

My timetable is full! I have 25 hours teaching a week with a two and a half hour lunch (0900-1700 everyday). Being able to teach Early Years, Primary and Secondary, I am able to experience working with a variety of levels and ages. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to teach so much during my time in A Coruña... hopefully I won't be too tired in the final week 💪.

My Timetable

Observation day today!! My lesson was with a Year 4 class that I had not seen since my first day. My tutor, Jose, didn't tell me the aim of the lesson (prepositions) until yesterday afternoon. He is a great man, but his teaching strategies conflict with mine. Last night, I was worried about Jose translating the activities into Spanish, and nervous that he would take over the lesson. However, after planning and speaking to a few people/angels, I felt ready. It was time to do what I dislike the most and ask Jose to only get involved if it was completely necessary. It worked! He didn't interrupt the lesson at all - win! :) I guess I need to have more of a backbone, which is something I need to get more comfortable with...

Overall, I think the lesson went really well :) the children remembered who I was, and asked if I could teach them everyday, which is the best compliment I could ever hear!

I'm so grateful to all the people that are here - everyone is so supportive - sharing resources and advice 💖 I could not be happier!

Back to planning and dinner :)

Adios, Chloe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...