Tuesday 16 January 2018

Will it actually EVER stop raining????

So I survived the first week and it's good and bad:

GOOD:  The people in A Coruna are soooooo friendly, I feel like I have lived here for months already! I love this town.

BAD:   It just keeps raining. Or it's freezing. Or it's freezing and raining. It's like I never left home..

GOOD:  I come home from a long day teaching and my bed has been made, the curtains opened and there are fresh towels in my room, which smells of CLEAN.

BAD: I live in a school. FFS. I am institutionalised and I don't like it! School dinners, every night, imagine that. After a LONG day teaching. Not funny.

GOOD: I adore my school and the beautiful teachers who are so supportive and so understanding. And the children are FABULOUS. They make a lot of noise but they are open and willing to try and participate and they make the lessons so much fun.

BAD: The children are VERY NOISY! They never shut up and the building is big, bare walls and bare floors and echoes bouncing everywhere. It's mental. Is there any peace anywhere?? No.

GOOD: I love our group, we look out for each other and there is always company if you want it.

BAD: I live in a little cell with dodgy electrics (heat or light, I can't have both or the fuses blow) and no home comforts to speak of. I'm VERY homesick!!

GOOD: The lessons are a blast, I've tried out so many ideas from Chester - THANK YOU to Michael, Reaa and Andrew. The rules are my life! Flash card games, warmers, board rush, whispers, group work, peer teaching, songs, throwing a ball to the next group...on and on. Fantastic!

BAD:  Year Senior 3, OMG. But, with promises of prizes, team points and the students pick a cool name for their team, I am winning them round. They are usually onside, and STILL miles better than the same age group back in England.

GOOD: I get to teach Music, my first subject. Yey!
BAD: I have to teach Music. CLIL?!?? We didn't cover this in training, it's really difficult! Help, they can't speak English AND they have to deal with Vocal Processes and Classical Opera. And they hate both. AAAAGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

That's all for now. I will close with a quote, from Dan this morning (8.27am, teaching at 8.30): "I'm cold, I'm wet, I'm halfway up a f**king hill!"  NOT HAPPY! A long bus commute, an early start, dodgy weather. And the school is at the top of a massive hill. Nice.

Primary 6 doing a group game. Everyone talking, everyone practising English. Notice the Rules on the board!


Hasta pronto!














1 comment:

  1. So interesting to hear how you are getting on, Anna. Seems like a bit of a roller coaster of ups and downs but ultimately, what an amazing experience. How long is it for?

    ReplyDelete

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...