Friday 26 January 2018

BLOG 5 24 out of 25 is a high success rate

BLOG 5 24 out of 25 is a high success rate

Thursday is my busiest day in school and yesterday was the first day in 3 weeks that overall, I didn’t enjoy it. So, to date in 2018, 24 out of 25 days have been happy, joyful and challenging in a positive way for me. That is a great success rate.

So, what happened yesterday? I had a good, deep sleep. I was at school in good time. Maybe I felt a little less prepared, a little less confident … and that seeped into my whole day incrementally. With each class I felt a little more tired, a little less able to manage, a little less good-humoured, and so by my 5th class which I thought would be great … I just wasn’t coping anymore.

I met this group of teens last week. We did one to ones and spoke about travel and holidays together. They were lovely! So interesting, expressive and well-mannered. Already a well-travelled bunch, with aspirations of solo trips in their adult lives, especially to the US.

Yesterday, with the whole class, things were not so good. So yes, it was the 5th class of the day – I was already feeling very sensitive and by the end of it I had to put my hands up and say to my fellow PAIS teacher and our co-ordinator, ‘I need to go home now’.

And I did. And it was the best decision for me – and my students in the last class of the day. Small children do not need to see a sad Sara if there is cover in place.

So, I came home. I asked Anna for a brew and a hug and she kindly obliged. And then I got into bed and slept the whole night …

What could I have done differently yesterday? Think further ahead.  Plan further ahead. To make myself feel secure and confident. This is not my strong suit. But I know it isn’t from my previous career and it’s something I will always have to continue to work on. Over the years I have found some tips that can help and am always looking to learn from others to find out how they do it. So I can find MY groove.

Today is a new day. A new beginning. I feel bright again.
I have space to plan, to do my laundry, to get out in the fresh air and see something of the city. I would call that – very, very fortunate.





2 comments:

  1. Well done, Sara.
    We're teaching kids English; nobody dies if we have a bad day.
    Learn from the losses, bur don't agonise. Focus on the wins and celebrate them.

    ReplyDelete

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...