Wednesday 31 January 2018

El Secundo Blog!

Hi ya folks,

I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since my last blog!

It's certainly a fast pace of life here in A Coruna!

Had an amazing (albeit somewhat draining) weekend with everyone staying here at A Coruna, involving a couple hours of Spanish and many sights and bars.

I'm now into my last week at Salesianos San Don Busco School and I'm amazed that what once appeared as a daunting name for a school now trips of my tongue so easily.  Maybe helped by my lesson to 2nd Eso this week on 'El Dia de San Juan Bosco' which coincidentally happens to be today 31st January!   As well as learning so much about Spanish children and teenagers, I feel I have learnt so much more about their culture, Saints and Catholicism from my time spent in this delightful school.  Students are quite excitable this week due to the celebrations at the moment and it's really lovely to be greeted by them both outside and within the school.  When the students wave at me in town, I really start to feel like a local.

After the city tour on Sunday (of the bars) no, the sights, I mean, A Coruna has really impressed me.   I already thought that the city centre is charming with it's mixture of large historic plazas, little paved alleyways and Colonial buildings and boulevards, but having seen the impressive coastline that this city is situated on I really was blown away!  And for once I don't mean this literally, as the evasive sun had decided to grace us with it's presence that day and at times it was a balmy 15 degrees or so.  I think we all welcomed the sunshine on our faces and I certainly appreciated the opportunity to upack  my sunglasses and take some 'blue sky' photos to send to the folks back home enjoying the January drizzle.

Yesterday, again the sun was out and I enjoyed a short but stimulating stroll at lunchtime along the seafront and found the sculpture of the two surfers, which I had spotted on Sunday on the coach tour.  Also, to be seen were several sunbathers on the beach tucked into the sunniest corner and having a picnic.   After teaching finished in the evening, I enjoyed my best hot chocolate, ever! Such a good idea, Harry! It honestly tasted like chocolate custard and took me back to memories of school dinners.  I used a teaspoon to consume most of it apart from what stuck to my lips.

I need to get myself into school soon for the fiestas so I shall blog again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...