Tuesday 23 January 2018

It's the little things that mean the most

¡Hola!

Reflecting on last week... I cannot believe how much can fit into such a short amount of time! I will upload this blog in two parts (exploring to follow).

I thoroughly enjoy every single class that I am teaching, regardless of the subject, aim or level. Due to the nature of splitting the class in half for English, I initially thought that repeating the same 25 minute lesson would be boring... however, I actually think that it is really efficient for the students, and it is a good learning experience for me. Whilst planning, I have to ensure that the activities are well organised and fluid so that the aim can be achieved. I find it much easier maintaining a fast pace in shorter lessons as time is not a luxury. In addition, teaching fewer students enables the lesson to be more personalised and engaging. For example, each child can present their work and receive direct feedback without it being time consuming or the other students becoming uninterested. I have found that the second lesson is always better than the first; my demonstrations are more concise and my instructions are much clearer - there's always room for improvement! This week I have requested that the groups leave the classroom in alternate orders so that the second group doesn’t always have the better lesson.

The children are genuinely the reason why I wake up every morning. They are the best! Throughout my second week, I really tried to get to know some of them individually so that they feel as valued as I do. Whilst being aware that every child is unique, I can honestly say that ALL children share the same qualities. They are kind, honest and a pleasure to teach. It is overwhelming how happy and loving every child is. Every time I walk into a classroom, I am welcomed with a sea of smiles followed by a group hug. Even the children I do not teach, wave and shout "hellooo chlowee" as I walk through the corridor. It is wonderful to know that it’s not just because I am new to the school, but it is a norm. Children and teachers interact as though they are friends (using first names and high-fiving). Everyone is equal and respected. It’s a shame that this dynamic is not the same in England. 

During one of my PE lessons, two children collided whilst playing football and fell to the floor. Adrian (PE teacher) explained that it doesn’t matter if the children are actually in pain or not, they will wait for the teacher to go over to them as they just need a little bit of love. Either a hand to help them back up or a pat on the back… anything to show them that you care. I think that this is beautiful. The student-teacher relationship seemed to be too much at the start, but now I understand why every child is so welcoming and caring. It is because they are cared about, and it is openly demonstrated.

The teachers are also very caring to each other. Every time someone walks into the staff room they are warmly greeted. It is just an amazing atmosphere to be a part of. I am genuinely so happy and grateful!

Chloe :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...