Tuesday 23 January 2018

The long awaited, widely anticipated blog. By Tomos Cleverdon


Firstly, I must apologise for the delay, I'm sure everyone has gone absolutely crazy in anticipation. Finally, the blog you've all been waiting for has dropped.

I must say, I've thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Valencia. The teachers in my school were more than welcoming, the pupils are delightful and are often a pleasure to teach. Not only is my apartment fantastic, but also are my flatmates. The people I'm leaving with are exceptionally entertaining and an absolute joy to be around. Quite honestly, I wish this work placement did not have to end, and I am so glad I've been given the opportunity to do so.

The School

So, the first day was a bit of an eye-opener. Upon arriving to the school, it took me almost 15 minutes to find the front reception. But when I did, I was welcomed by three teachers who were more than welcoming and showed me to my first class. My first lesson was an ESO 1 class (11-12yrs I think). My first impression was, 'f***, these kids are crazy and the teacher has no control over them'. However! after sitting in on a few classes and experiencing different teachers and their techniques, I quickly learnt that the attitude of the class very much reflected the attitude and technique of the teacher. Basically, respect must be reciprocal, and banging on the table, telling the kids to shut up is the worst way to manage a class of kids.
              On my second day, it was as if I had walked into a completely different school. The pupils listened and so did the teacher. My hope had been restored and ever since I have had a great time. By the third day I was teaching, and it felt great. The one piece of advice I can give is to trust the training that you're given by UKLC. The points system works! Not only that, it works really well! It helps create a positive and pleasant teaching environment which you and students enjoy and learn from.

My Birthday 

I would like to thank Reea (Tutor Coordinator) for organising a fantastic birthday for which I am completely grateful and flattered. I can't thank you enough. She went to the trouble of buying my favourite flavoured cake (of which I had not told her) and reserved a lovely place to eat. She also had a live music band sing me happy birthday hahaha.

Final thoughts 

-There are more dogs than humans in this city, and only a minority of them pick up their litter so staring at the pavement is essential when you're in this city or you will get shit on your shoes.

-The food is gooood

-Weather, gooood

-Don't be surprised if you ask someone to stop talking and they carry on right in front you.


-Upon  introduction spanish woman give you a kiss on the both cheeks. I had no idea. Had i known, this would have saved much awkward interactions.

-there's more but I've forgotten.

Until the next one x



Image


Image







1 comment:

  1. The points system works if you can make it work! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...