Friday 19 January 2018

BLOG 3 Where does the week go?

The weekend has come around again in a multi-coloured blur travelling at the speed of light! I’ve just about got my head around which group of students is which – and what their learning objectives are for this term.

In secondary I’m teaching 2 sets of 11/12 year olds (1st year in Scotland’s education system), one class of 13/14 (2nd year) and seniors aged 16/17 and the eldest 17/18 (6th year to me) who are just about ready to leave school for the wider world. They are all genuinely worried about their exams … something I’m not sure my generation was so worked up about, we knew we had to get the grades to achieve our choice of work/college/uni but I think we were more bothered about our social lives. Or maybe that was just me ; )

I also have PAIS classes. These are after school classes for primary and secondary kids whose parents want them to achieve Trinity and Cambridge exam levels. So there are classes for PET and KET (secondary) and in our school Starters, Movers and Flyers (the names of the YL Cambridge exams).

My Starters group (age 8-9) have missed their usual teacher for the last 2 classes. He is a very calm, gentle presence in the classroom and they love him. (I’ve seen them run and hug him and climb all over him at the beginning of class : ) ). Naturally they are upset and out of their routine when I have been with them this week and I very much need to find my feet with teaching this level. We are slowly building rapport. They are awesome kids. Boisterous but just awesome. Such loving little people. I want to persist to create good classes for them – that stimulate them (just a little!) and then have them calmed down (as much as is possible!) by the time they go to meet their parents. Stirrers & soothers in the right blend!

I took one to ones with the PET and KET groups yesterday and they were all so well behaved and spoke beautifully to give me vocab for clothes or to talk about their travels, and their dreams of travels in the future.

Last night Simone, Anna and I went for well-deserved PRINKS. The bar we went to gave out great free snacks – tortilla with bread, sweeties, crisps, PIZZA : )

Today I want to look over what’s happening next week and get some planning done. Also want to get out and get some fresh air and a good walk as due to my flu last weekend I have only seen the very near neighbourhood and the school route! The days are long at our school. We don’t get back usually until 745pm earliest. Dinner is at 9. Finding yourself with free time is very much your reward in this environment. 

For lesson planning and taking a break from the school during the week we’re lucky enough to be near a gorgeous café called Miss Maruja. I think I would move here for that café and being next to the Atlantic Ocean at the drop of a hat.

WORST BITS
the last day of the flu. I was so fed up of it and a little tearful. I'd had ENOUGH!

BEST BITS
when I did the same present continuous lesson with my first years and set B were ABSOLUTELY SILENT for 2-3 minutes !!!!! 

when about half of the kids in Starters really tried to work with me and did little things to help me : )

fishbowl gin tonic  : ) 

Dinner ... always ... for the craic :)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...