Sunday 14 January 2018

A Coruña, a cidade onde ninguén é forasteiro!

Hola!

A Coruña, a cidade onde ninguén é forasteiro! - A Coruña, the city where nobody is an outsider!

Having never lived in a separate country or culture before, I was expecting to suffer from culture shock. On the other hand, it has turned into somewhat of an adventure!  I have been assigned to a rather small school called ‘Colexio Calasanz’ lying amongst the rolling hilltops of the A Coruna coastline. The co-ordinators and teachers are supportive, caring, engaging, and take as much interest in me as I do about them! I don’t think I could have wished for better support in an unfamiliar environment. The teachers have softly introduced me into their classroom, and are as delightful to me in a professional setting as they are elsewhere.

The A Coruña Team
 I have been in a rather substantial number of unexpected situations; for example, a disastrous encounter asking for session prices at the gym, ordering in French and not Spanish, and a party of Spanish locals attempting to communicate with me at a bus stop (I’m still not quite sure entirely what was said). Despite Spain’s strange quirks – such as sex toy vending machines and the peculiar methods of paying for drinks - my Spanish is growing stronger every day and I feel that my own personality fits quite well into Spanish life. I mean, free food with a beer!

Although teaching English is my primary focus, I am not always present in the English classroom. I often try and engage students in English during other lessons such as technology, arts & crafts, science, and religion. I can also be teaching infants (age 3 – 6), primary (age 6 – 12), secondary (age 12 – 16) and bachillerato (age 16 – 18). Each class and age group can vary drastically, but for the most part they are a delight. I can honestly say that after only a few days, the school already feels like my own. One of the most heart-warming moments was perhaps when a student had gone home specifically to bake me a welcome cake, along with being given a personalised origami fish!

Myself, Monica (Academic Co-ordinator), Aminah, Chloe and Cameron

The experience has so far proven to be enlightening and eye-opening. It has been interesting to see the contrast between what I have learned throughout my CELTA and pre-flight training in Chester to an actual classroom environment. As the days progress I’m becoming more aware of what I can offer the school and what the school can offer me. Having observed a few classes, I eventually felt comfortable taking charge and conducting my own lesson. It involved a ‘musical chairs’ exercise using the present perfect as the target language. Initially, I was excited to conduct the lesson but sceptical whether it would work. In the end, the exercise proved to be effective and the students looked like they absolutely adored it! It certainly made me feel comfortable in taking further classes on my own. Seeing the previous success, I then decided on a ‘Simon says’ activity but changed it to ‘William will/won’t’ to teach the kids the Simple Future tense. The children loved this exercise too, but it seemed like the lesson dragged a little – I still have a long way to go! This following week I am taking a greater step into the teaching role as I observe less and teach much more. Despite all the creativity required in lesson planning, the most creative part of my week still has to be the countless efforts of making a brew in a country where a kettle seems like a myth.


I take solace in the fact that my colleagues who accompanied me at the school appear to echo the same positive outlook. I'm hoping that this outlook isn't skin deep, and that as the weeks go on everybody, including myself, remains as optimistic as they are now. Every day I look forward to our typically Spanish late 9:00 p.m. ‘dinner’, where the group cohere together and share the ups and downs of our daily antics. There seems to be a familial bond between our group and a support network that is second-to-none. This makes me so happy because it gives us all a secure footing to spring into the next day! Nothing makes me happier than seeing a colleague leave dinner with a smile on their face after having been in distress about an issue. I can only hope that the co-ordinators, students in the other schools in A Coruna and those who departed after training to Valencia are feeling as pleased with their experience as I am. :)
The UKLC team
Hasta luego!

Daniel Kitson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...