Wednesday 17 January 2018

‘Remain’ in Spain

Into our second week of the Erasmus+ course in Valencia and things are looking good. Sun’s been out a lot; thought I had a tan but one of my flatmates said I look like a steamed bun.
I’m teaching in a lovely semi-private school in the Aiora region of Valencia named Colegio Parque Santa Ana. My ‘colleague’ Abbie and I began last Monday; we were introduced to one of the fantastic teachers from the English department and given a whistle stop tour round the school. I had been warmed that many non-private Spanish Schools are poorly equipped, but that notion was quickly put to bed and I was leaping for joy inside with the knowledge I could do an intricate PowerPoint presentation on a projector, or interactive whiteboard.
Then it happened… ‘So first lesson we’ll put you in front of the class and you can explain where you are from, what you are doing here and help the students with their English’. Not wanting to look feint I grinned and nodded like a man with jaw lock about to be thrown off a cliff. However it seems the teacher (Marta) knew what she was doing. The class was the most advanced in the whole school and quizzed us on complicated topics such as politics (Brexit!!) and my local team Manchester City FC (a bit more comfortable). Marta held our hands through the whole class (figuratively), posing questions to the class to encourage the conversation and learning. I think it was the best thing for us really, for me certainly; throw us in there but with a class that would definitely engage well, get the hardest part over with ASAP and you’ll be more comfortable immediately afterwards.

Since then everything has been brilliant. All the teachers in the English department have welcomed and helped us enormously; given us work to do when needed, and eased off a bit when the pressure was mounting. The kids are great too. If I’m honest I didn’t really want to teach solely secondary school, the high schools I attended have made me wary of the prospect. But they are very well behaved (if a little too talkative) and have responded to a lot of the methods and lessons I have used well. It’s a real shame that I won’t be able to stay longer to establish a real rapport with them, as some of them seemed to have warmed to us to. Most of them are about that age where you can see them as adults; they’ve just got a little bit left to go, so it suits me perfectly..
Got a few pictures but my laptop’s playing up so ill include them in the next post.


Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...