Saturday 13 January 2018

BLOG 1 Tonight we’ll have been In A Coruna for a week – it’s flown in!

BLOG 1 Tonight we’ll have been In A Coruna for a week – it’s flown in!
I'm incredibly happy to be here, and feel that despite all the moments of overwhelm of settling in since last weekend, all the little joys make it more than worth it.
For example, one moment that stays in my mind is asking our co-ordinator for blutac and the tiniest little boy turned up in the staffroom with it for me. #heartmelts

It’s 6 months today since I left my job and teaching kids in Spain was my dream. Now I am living it. It’s amazing! I can hardly believe it.

Our school, Salescianos, is right next to the ocean. Our co-ordinators, tutors and teaching colleagues are all so warm and friendly. It definitely rings true that A Coruna is the city ‘where no-one feels like foreigner’. Everyone I’ve spoken to at school, in our residence and in the local businesses is warm and helpful. I keep trying to use my Spanish. I just use the words, phrases I know and the other person helps me fill in the gaps ; )

The weather is cold and rainy – so as a Scot I feel right at home. But I’ve never had a Spanish trip with weather like this!!! So glad I brought my raincoat and scarves and my DMs and woollen socks! Tiled floors in the summer – lovely. Tiled floors in January – not so good! I’ve got my first cold/infected sore throat for the first time in years which is dragging me down a bit. But hey, this too shall pass : )

I feel our group has really bonded, especially through sharing our experiences as we settle into school life. We’ve been really kind and supportive of each other which is just gorgeous as we only met 10 days ago!

I’m looking forward to having some down time with everyone today. We’re hoping to explore the city a little more. And get our lesson planning and laundry done :)

Week one worst bits
  • ·      Feeling overwhelmed in our new environment and worrying about my health
  • ·      Flakey wifi at ‘home’ – I have patience with people not so much with technology, seems ok so far today J

Best bits
  • ·      Getting my ss to pronounce vegetables correctly!
  • ·      Hands going up calling my name to ask for help & seeing how differently they all work
  • ·      Seeing how ‘active’ the little ones in PAIS classes are
  • ·      Teens waving at me and saying hello in the street at lunch
  • ·      All the laughter at dinner all week :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Luke's Blog: Número cuatro

Hello, I've finally arrived home after a very eventful, challenging but ultimately successful month in La Coruña this will be my last ...